
I went for a hike yesterday with a fine group of randoms from Boston Hiking. There were eight of us. Similar shape and hiking styles. We hiked Mt. Kinsman. A roughly 12 mile hike with only a few faux summits. The weather was absolutely pleasant. The promised 90 degree madness did not meet us and there was a kind breeze which kept most bugs out of our way. One of us, however, took a nasty bite to the eye and has the swelling to prove it. Ick.
We met promptly at 6am in Davis and headed to meet up with a few others at the Andover parking park and ride. Left for the White Mountains at 630 and were on the trail by 845. What efficiency!!! The hike started with my aching dogs threatening to quit on me, but an hour in they relented to the rest of the trip. Most of the terrain was irregular rocks, which proved for much balancing maneuvers. We didn't see/hear any bears, which was good.
We stopped several times for a view or two and a quick snack. I'm glad I prepared with plenty of pb&j, though three sandwhiches was a bit overkill.
It was great to get out of doors and meet some new people. I'm going to miss the ability to hike while in NYC. But it's worth it. I can still rent a car if I'm so inclined or go with a random to PA/Jersey with Anne or some random from Craigslist.
Got back to my place around 930pm and fell straight asleep after one quite necessary shower.
I'm a bit sore today - it feels great - oh my aching dogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment