June 2, 2008

1st day at the parks

I started training today for the parks job - received my smokey the bear hat and had full uniform. It took a little while to get over the dorkiness of it all. Actually, I'm not sure I'll fully get over it before the summer is through.

The training group was relatively eclectic - several people just out of college and from all over the U.S.

The training consisted of basic procedure/protocol, the parks organizational chart, radio usage etc. Quite boring - but it was all classroom stuff.

Tomorrow we'll be learning about the programs we'll be putting on for the public - I'm really looking forward to it. Tomorrow will be in Inwood Hill park. I love that park.

We were asked to put our top three boroughs for placement down on an index card with no guarantees. Someone will be heading down to Staten Island. Luckily, I may be too far from there to be a serious consideration. My top choices: 1) Manhattan; 2) Bronx and; 3) Brooklyn. Looks like Brooklyn is out of the question as so many have requested it.

At first I was against working in Central Park. But after walking around today - so much deep 'woods' and lots of quite spots, it grew on me and I switched to to #1 choice. I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if placed in the Bronx. Van Cortlandt park is supposedly a great place to work, with tons of trails and all.

Wherever I'm placed, there will apparently be no shortage of canoeing . Haven't canoed since 1999 - lake Washington abutting University of Washington's campus.

No comments: