February 15, 2007

Burgers and Beers

I've been living in NYC since mid July and have been during this period consistently carnivorous. That said, I love meat and seek out the best burgers the City has to offer. So far I've found two places which are wrestling for my top notch.

The first one is around west 4th and Christopher street - the Corner Bistro - burgers were quite good, and served quickly. The wait, 45 minutes on a snowy February evening, was well worth it. The beers, albethem smallish, were cheap and served in a hefty mug. The burger - no frills, toasted ground beef served on a paper plate the size of a coffee filter. The fries . . . eh. I could go on about the atmosphere, which was essentially cozy with nooks for relatively quiet conversation, but I wont. I'll just leave it at a great burger joint.

The second, Piper's Kilt, is all the way up around my neck of the woods in Inwood. For those of you who do not venture above Union square, Inwood is nestled in the handle of the island of Manhattan - 200th (Dyckman st.) through 218th. It's an awkward bar space, but the burgers are among the finest I've ever sunk my teeth into. The meat was so tender and held together - holding fast even through my having slathered it with A1 sauce. The atmosphere hovers the line between comfortable and comfortable-ish.

So, there you have it, two great burger joints, 196 blocks apart, wrestling along the A-train for my love.

No comments: